Custom Art Inquiry
The Anecdote to Art Method™ by Kate Cook.
“Art is one of the few tangible items we can own that will live past our lifetime to tell a personalized story that may otherwise be forgotten.” -Kate Cook
And if they say a picture can speak a thousand words, imagine what a custom, hand-made painting can do?
As a human, you are inherently a creative being. This is because your personalized anecdotes are from where your inner most creative ideas stem.
Your anecdotes, no matter how complex or simple, have the ability to translate into an engaging and one-of-a-kind piece of artwork that is sure to not only enhance your ride or beautify your space, but also spark a compelling conversation amongst its viewers for years to come.
Your investment into a custom piece of art is an investment into your legacy.
This type of artwork does not end up on a thrift store shelf, rather, it is this kind of artwork that will become a cherished heirloom that preserves a fleeting moment in time and communicates your distinct narrative in a visually captivating way.
It stands the test of time.
Imagine styling your favorite space or customizing your car with unique artwork that YOU helped design? You are creative. Your story is worth perpetuating.
It’s time to preserve your story through custom art, inspired by your ideas.
Anecdote to Art
I am the creator of the Anecdote to Art Method™.
As a fine artist specializing in curating your ideas to hand craft a custom art piece, I am here to listen to your story and work WITH you through 5 clearly defined steps in my signature Anecdote to Art Method™ that seamlessly move us through the design process of your custom created art piece.
Your personal story, combined with my artistic skill is the guaranteed combination to make an original and timeless work of art.
1. Telling the Story
In this step we will:
- Get to know one another as you share the unique story you hope to have transformed into a custom art piece.
- Extract and exchange any ideas inspired by your story that, together, we feel would make the strongest concept for the overall look and feel you’d like your custom art piece to reflect.
- Curate quality reference photos and inspirational research that you’d like to have the artwork created around.
2. Pencil to Paper
In this step we will:
- Craft 1-3 pencil and paper sketches with hand drawn designs that combine your creative anecdotes and my artistic vision.
- Choose the pencil sketch that you love and most closely reflects the custom art idea in your mind.
- Take note of any necessary alterations that need to be made to the chosen sketch. We will also find a way to incorporate (if possible) any design elements you liked from the other sketches into the chosen drawing to make one strong composition.
3. Final Design
In this step we will:
- Create one final pencil drawing that reflects all the alterations and/or additions we spoke about in step 2.
- Determine artwork colors and create examples (If needed).
- Transfer the final line drawing onto the desired “final canvas” (I.e. archival paper, canvas, steel panel, motorcycle, car, helmet, etc.) in chalk. This step is essential (especially for 3D objects) because it allows you to see the placement of the artwork on the “final canvas”, yet it is still 100% erasable.
4. Brush to Canvas
In this step we will:
- Begin adding layers of color and intricate detail to the final canvas to create the design we’ve come up with together in the previous steps.
- Communicate through email with exciting progress photos and/or videos of the artwork being made.
- Witness your ideas transform into a highly personalized and quality piece of custom art.
5. Framing & Delivery
In this step we will:
- Select a hand-made frame and mat combination that is tailored specifically to your custom artwork to ensure that your investment will be protected, easy to hang, and beautifully complimented.
- Take photographs of your artwork to send to you for your approval and save for an exclusive, potential feature of my Asphalt Canvas Blog and/or social media feeds.
- Safely ship the final framed art piece to you using insured shipping through United States Postal Service or UPS. **Every flat piece of custom art that leaves the Asphalt Canvas Studio will have a professionally made custom frame. However, if you’ve purchased an unframed print or poster from my shop, I created The Ultimate Guide to Framing Art with a defined list of terms that will help you frame your new collector print or poster with ease.
I request a 30% non-refundable deposit (50% deposit for logo or t-shirt designs) to book your custom art. I accept cash or credit card through Square Processing. In-house financing is available upon request.
Fine Art (Enamel Painting, Ink & Watercolor Drawing):
11″x 14″ $1,550.00
12” x 24″ $2,750.00
16″x 20″ $3,100.00
20″x 20″ $3,900.00
18″x 24″ $4,300.00
*Custom sizing available upon request.
Starting at: $300.00 for any pinstriping within 30 miles of Belton, Texas.
Starting at: $50.00 per square foot.
Please Note: This total does not reflect additional expenses such as taxes, fees, travel, and/or shipping.
- Three chances for optional revisions (Four chances with logos, t-shirts, and illustrations).
- Open lines of communication with me via email or phone with any “ah ha!” ideas or lingering questions.
- Archival art papers, gallery wrap canvas (so it lasts forever), or a custom painted steel panel to act as the background of your custom art if we are not painting directly onto a surface you’ve provided (i.e. car, helmet, tank etc.).
- American made, durable enamel paints and antifade India inks.
- Official, signed and sealed certificate of authenticity.
- Museum-grade, artist selected framing that will be tailor made to your custom piece of art.
In addition to the final custom art piece you’ll receive after working together through using my signature Anecdote to Art Method™, I offer the unique opportunity to have two different, optional, a la carte art pieces made to compliment your new original artwork.
Framed Paint Pallet $350.00
The framed paint pallet is a colorful and abstract piece of unique artwork that will coordinate perfectly with your final piece of custom art because it is organically made as I pour and mix paint onto the same pallet page over and over again while creating your custom painting. No two pallet paintings are alike. *This add-on is only offered if your final piece will be created in automotive enamels. Framed, 8”x10”. Free Shipping Included.
Framed Original Sketch $650.00
The framed original sketch is a piece of original hand-drawn art that will tell the story of how your final painting or drawing was created. In the framed sketch you may see my original pencil marks, eraser smudges, or even colored pencil renderings of ideas I jotted down while brainstorming your custom art idea with you. *The framed original sketch will not match the exact size of your custom painting or drawing, as most of Kates sketches are drawn on an 8”x10” piece of paper and only vary slightly in size depending on the project. Framed, 8”x10”. Free Shipping Included.
Ready to Create?
I’ve worked with incredible clients who’ve brought with them a cherished photo or simple stick drawing of a grand idea they had envisioned for a custom piece of art; each of them initially assuring me in the beginning that they were not “creative”.
However, when the last brush mark was applied, all of these clients walked away with final piece of art that their own ideas helped to inspire.
My signature Anecdote to Art Method™ and gallery of custom commission work proves evident that even the most self-acclaimed “non-creative” client I have the opportunity to work with will end up with an exquisite piece of custom art at the end of the process.
I encourage you to check out some of my past art commission collaborations through my Custom Art Features blog here.
Still have questions regarding your custom art inquiry? Head over to the Asphalt Canvas FAQ Page.
You can have a car with generic decals on the doors and a home filled with mass produced word art from chain stores.
You can honor the era of your classic car with hand painted, personalized graphics and create an inviting space with hand -made paintings that reflect your individuality and spark conversation.
To Inquire & Book
Please complete the Custom Art Inquiry form below. My current response time is 1-3 business days. I look forward to potentially making art with you!
Hours: Monday- Friday 9am-6pm Saturday & Sunday by appointment only